Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Every girl needs a tux

This morning I did something rather strange. Well, strange for someone in possession of two X chromosomes. I bought myself a dinner suit.

I'm going to a science fiction convention this weekend (yes yes, I know, NERD!), and there's a spy-themed disco on the Saturday night. I thought it would be fun to hire a tuxedo and go as James Bond. So I called in at my local Moss Bros today, only to find out that a hire for this weekend would require pickup on Friday afternoon. Not possible given that I'm heading up to the con on Friday morning. When I asked about alternatives, the guy behind the counter offered to sell me a dinner suit for £150 and throw in the shirt and tie for free. I would've spent £50 on the hire, and I had my heart set on being Bond, so I gave in to impulse and made the purchase.

Who knows, the suit may come in handy in the future. One day I might be successful as a writer and get invited to lots of black-tie events, and anyone who knows me in person knows I don't wear dresses. Well, I did once, as a bridesmaid at a friend's wedding, but I've also been a bridesmaid in trousers for two other friends. That's how much I don't wear dresses.

Failing the success and black-tie events thing, at least I'll be set the next time anyone has a Bond-themed fancy dress party.

4 Comments:

Blogger Phill Barron said...

Invite people round for dinner, then answer the door wearing it and look disdainfully at their jeans.

Or wear it to the supermarket and complain loudly that other people could have made the effort.

2:35 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

Or become a professional snooker player. I'm liking that idea -- except for the being good at snooker part.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

And now I have to make an emergency trip to M&S to get some cufflinks. I knew I'd forgotten something...

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or sneak into Mardi Gras balls. You wouldn't believe how adorable Manny looks in his white-tie-and-tails ensemble. Actually, you would believe it, for I shall now go send you pictures. -ASG

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home