Friday, December 29, 2006

Year-end roundup

As is customary, I will now list everything I did in 2006 and indulge in self-congratulation or self-deprecation as appropriate. On your marks, get set...

In 2006 I wrote:

- The first draft of a feature script

- The first through fourth drafts of a radio sitcom pilot with Piers Beckley

- The first draft of a one-act stage play

- Half of the sixth draft of a feature script I started years ago

- Most of a draft on someone else's feature script -- for money!

- A short film script that was drowned at birth

- A five-minute stand-up comedy set that I'll get out there and perform Real Soon Now

- A short film that I wrote and shot myself for the Nokia Shorts competition -- it didn't win anything, but other places to submit it keep popping up

- Gobs of comedy sketches for NewsRevue, The Treason Show, and Mixt Nutz. Sometimes with the aforementioned Piers, sometimes on my own. Some of the sketches even got performed.

- Gobs more comedy sketches for various radio shows, that sank without a trace


Low points:

- The Treason Show haven't used anything of mine in months. Grrr...

- Despite a fair bit of trying, I still don't have a radio credit. I feel like I ought to have cleared that hurdle by now.

- I'm not yet able to join the Writers' Guild of Great Britain. A radio credit would solve that problem. (Actually, the script doctoring work I'm doing now might also solve that problem -- must check.)


High points:

- Discovering I can produce a feature script from scratch in two months, while also working a full-time job.

- Pitching one of my feature scripts to an industry panel at Raindance, and getting shot down for the presentation rather than the content. I didn't see this as a high point at the time -- I still got shot down after all -- but the panel said nice things about my idea when they certainly didn't have to. The presentation I can work on.

- Becoming a paid script doctor. It's not a lot of pay by any means, but I still call that a result.


I suppose I should list my plans for next year. First and foremost, the feature script I started years ago and continue to re-draft WILL... BE... FINISHED. It's been almost finished for the best part of a decade, and this is getting ridiculous. After that, I'd like to do a few more drafts on my other feaure script. I'll also be working toward Mixt Nutz' Edinburgh show, submitting stuff to The Treason Show, and undoubtedly banging on the radio door some more. Who knows, maybe someone will let me in this time.

Happy 2007 everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home