Tuesday, January 06, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

Yes, it's that time of year again. I present, for your reading delectation, my list of resolutions.

1. Pull finger out and write blog post about New Year's resolutions. Done.

2. Tidy house so it resembles a house and not a rubbish tip. In progress.

3. Stop being lazy about karate training, be ready to get brown-with-a-stripe belt in March. Due to start yesterday, briefly postponed due to lurgy.

4. Have steampunk feature script ready to go by the end of the year. What's this, a writing-related resolution?

5. Ditto for radio play turned sitcom. That's two, two writing-related resolutions! Mwa ha ha!

6. Acquire at least two more radio credits in 2009. I'm not sure this really counts as a resolution as it's not within my power to compel producers to use my submissions. I'll re-word it slightly -- capitalise on every opportunity to acquire more radio credits, thus maximising my chances of success.

7. Re-read this post at the beginning of 2010 and laugh at how my writing plans went out the window due to (delete as appropriate) laziness/long stint in hospital from karate injuries/long stint in hospital from tidying injuries/new projects taking up all my time/offer of free money, fame and kudos from God himself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck with all the writing and karate.

And, of course, good luck with the tidying. I struggle with clutter. I've been reading up on it a bit. One very stringent but possibly useful tidying rule I discovered is: "Have nothing in your space that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful."

On a more practical note, my stepmom says that anything one haven't worn in 18 months should be donated/discarded/etc. I might expand that to "anything one haven't used in 18 months shouldn't be cluttering your living space".

For sentimental items, I'm considering applying the "would a picture of it work just as well?" test. I think it will work best on old t-shirts, honestly, but it's a start.
-Anna

10:17 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

The main untidy-related problems in our house are:

1. Both Glen and I have a tendency to leave stuff out. This rapidly turns into a situation where all horizontal surfaces are covered with papers, CDs, etc., and we can't find anything.

2. Both Glen and I have a tendency to acquire and keep lots of stuff. In particular, we need to get all his computer bits in some kind of order and banish them all to the spare room.

We've made a list of specific and measurable tasks, e.g. "banish non-book items from the bookshelves" and "make floor visible in that corner where all the bits of cat-5 cable currently live".

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home