Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Laptop is Dead. Again.

As if I needed any more excuses not to write.

Last night my laptop went circuit-boards-up. It's been a cranky little you-know-what all its life with crankiness and disturbing behaviour on the rise for the past couple of months, and now it won't boot.

Damn it, it's only been a year and a bit since my last laptop death post.

My fiance is trying to resurrect the machine by wiping the hard drive and installing Linux, but I'm not holding out too much hope. He thinks he can at least get my data off the drive, which is some consolation. I've done about a quarter of a draft of my steampunk feature and a bit of work on my radio-play-turned-sitcom since my last backup, never mind the comedy sketches I've done for various outlets.

Now to see if there's money for a replacement. I'm looking at various Dells with Ubuntu. Damned if I'm going to buy another Vista machine after the hatefest that was my relationship with the dead laptop. If I were richer I'd be dancing on its display screen doing the Good Riddance Shuffle. But I'm not, so I'm grinding my teeth instead.

2 Comments:

Blogger Piers said...

Mac.

Maaaaaaac.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Whenever my Vista laptop flakes out, I like to glare at it and tell it I know where the Mac store is. At least it makes me feel better.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home