Monday, June 09, 2008

Emo through the ages

We interrupt this unemployment diary for a special commentary on current events.

As some of you know, the Daily Mail has been saying less than complimentary things about Emo music.

But what you might not know is that music made by the professionally depressed dates back hundreds of years. The most famous composer of Elizabethan melancholia was John Dowland. Here's a little sample of his lyrics, from the lute song "Flow My Tears":

From the highest spire of contentment
My fortune is thrown;
And fear and grief and pain for my desserts
Are my hopes, since hope is gone.

You can hear the countertenor Andreas Scholl performing the song below. Be careful though, if you listen too many times you might join the scores of Renaissance lute music fans who've topped themselves.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hee. Having been emo-grrl myself the last few days, I find your comments oddly cheering.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Phill Barron said...

Emo: middle class kids from a nice families who're miserable because they've got nothing to be unhappy about.

Advice to parents: don't worry, they'll grow out of it.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home