Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Competitiveness makes the world go 'round

Piers Beckley has just had some top news. Upon finding out, my first reaction was to offer hearty congratulations.

My second reaction was to be envious and sulk. Yes, I am incredibly mature and selfless, my social worker says so.

My third reaction was to register with Inktip to up my scripts' industry exposure.

I think I'm finally starting to understand this competitiveness-as-motivator mindset that many of my writer buddies have, but which I've never fully grokked. I'm sure my mother wouldn't approve, but as long as it doesn't descend to word processors at dawn...

3 Comments:

Blogger Phill Barron said...

Jealousy is always tempting; but if he can do it, why not you?

You now know someone who's been shortlisted - use that info, find out what he did and duplicate it next year.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Well, except that I have no intention of applying next year, just as I didn't apply this year. I have no interest in writing soaps; in fact I hate soaps. Consequently I doubt very much that I'd get anywhere if I tried. It's very hard to write well in a genre for which you have contempt.

If I made the shortlist of a BBC sitcom competition I'd consider that a comparable achievement and thus a reason to stop being jealous. Er, do you know anyone who's been shortlisted for a BBC sitcom competition? I'd love to buy them lunch and pick their brain.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Phill Barron said...

No, I'm afraid not. I'm sure you could find a list of people online somewhere and just offer to buy them lunch.

I have zero interest in soaps too. I still apply every year, in a half-arsed way. This year in the box where it says:

Why do you want to write for Eastenders?

I put:

I don't, I just need the money.

Didn't get through, don't know why.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home