Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Back to the world of the day job

Today was my first day at work. In my earlier post I didn't mention the exact nature of my job because all I had at the time was a verbal offer. But they've now let me into the building and promised me a network ID, so it's probably safe to reveal I'm working for the BBC Future Media and Technology department as a software engineer.

Thus ends an approximately nine-month stint of writing full-time. I think, though, that I needed a bit of a shake-up. For months I'd been having problems motivating myself to write, and in a perverse way it was nice to have to get up this morning and trudge off to do things for other people.

If I ever do manage to write full-time on a permanent basis, I think I'll get some sort of studio space and thus force myself to 'trudge off' of a morning. Having my living space as my work space just seemed to reinforce my stuck-in-a-rut state.

3 Comments:

Blogger Phill Barron said...

Congrats on the new job, how much time will it leave free for writing?

11:06 PM  
Blogger William Gallagher said...

William Goldman talks a lot about going off to his "pit" every day; an office somewhere away from his home.

And I used to know a group of freelance journalists who rented a little office together so that they could do exactly what you're thinking of. They called it the Writers' Block, obviously.

William

11:47 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Phill, the short answer is -- all the time in the world, less 40 hours a week.

I wrote the first draft of one of my features in two months while working full-time, so there's reason to think I'll continue making good progress.

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home